vertical_align_top
View:
Images:
S · M

Former buildings and structures in Chicago, Illinois

This list has 3 sub-lists and 58 members. See also History of Chicago, Illinois, Buildings and structures in Chicago, Illinois, Former buildings and structures in the United States by city
FLAG
      
Like
  • DisneyQuest
    DisneyQuest Former indoor Disney theme park chain
     0    0
    rank #1 ·
    DisneyQuest was a chain of indoor interactive theme parks in the United States operated by the Disney Regional Entertainment subsidiary of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
  • Phenix Building (Chicago)
     0    0
    rank #2 ·
    The Phenix (aka Phoenix) Building was an office building in Chicago designed by the noted Chicago architectural firm of Burnham and Root. It was built by the Phenix Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Brooklyn, New York and occupied the block fronting Jackson Boulevard between Pacific Avenue (now LaSalle Street) and Clark Street. When completed in 1887, the building was seen as "the latest addition to Chicago's magnificent architectural structures". It was later owned by the Western Union Telegraph Company, who sold the building to the manufacturer and philanthropist Frederick C. Austin (1853-1931) in 1922. Austin donated it to Northwestern University in 1929 with the understanding that the income derived from it would "provide scholarships for the training of business executives". The building was demolished in 1957 and replaced by what today is known as the TransUnion Building, a twenty-four story office building designed by A. Epstein and Sons.
  • Central Music Hall (Chicago)
     0    0
    rank #3 ·
    Central Music Hall (1879–1900) was a mixed-use commercial building and theater in Chicago, situated on the southeast corner of State and Randolph Streets. It was designed by celebrated German-born American architect Dankmar Adler. It was the first important building designed by the famous architect, in which he made initial use of his knowledge of acoustics. The building was demolished in 1900, around the same time Adler died, in order to build the Marshall Field & Company store, now Macy's.
  • Harold L. Ickes Homes
    Harold L. Ickes Homes Former public housing development in Chicago, Illinois, United States
     0    0
    rank #4 ·
    Harold L. Ickes Homes was a Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) public housing project in the Near South Side neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It was bordered between State Street and Federal Street and Cermak Road and 25th Street. It was a part of the State Street Corridor, which included other CHA properties: Robert Taylor Homes, Dearborn Homes, Stateway Gardens and Hilliard Homes.
  • Garrick Theater (Chicago)
    Garrick Theater (Chicago) Former theater in Chicago, Illinois, USA
     0    0
    rank #5 ·
    The Schiller Theater Building was designed by Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler of the firm Adler & Sullivan for the German Opera Company. At the time of its construction, it was one among the tallest buildings in Chicago. Its centerpiece was a 1300-seat theater, which is considered by architectural historians to be one of the greatest collaborations between Adler and Sullivan.
  • Chicago Opera House
     0    0
    rank #6 ·
    The Chicago Opera House, was a theater complex in Chicago, Illinois, designed by the architectural firm of Cobb and Frost. The Chicago Opera House building took the cue provided by the Metropolitan Opera of New York as a mixed-used building: it housed both a theater and unrelated offices, used to subsidize the cost of the theater building. The theater itself was located in the middle of the complex and office structures flanked each side. The entire complex was known as the "Chicago Opera House Block," and was located at the Southwest corner of West Washington Avenue and North Clark Street.
  • White City (Chicago)
     0    0
    rank #7 ·
    White City (sometimes listed as White City Amusement Park in print advertisements) was a recreational area located in the Greater Grand Crossing and Woodlawn community areas on the south side of Chicago from 1905 until the 1950s. At the time of its opening, on May 26, 1905, it was claimed to be the largest park of its type in the United States. It contributed to Chicago's status as the city with the most amusement parks in the United States until 1908. It eventually introduced the world to the Goodyear Blimp, which was first assembled at the park.
  • Olson Park and Waterfall
     0    0
    rank #8 ·
    Olson Park and Waterfall was a heavily visited park and waterfall complex that was located in the Avondale community area of Chicago. It was built by Walter E. Olson, the owner of the Olson Rug Company, next to his factory and headquarters on the northwest corner of Diversey and Pulaski, and was a popular landmark for Chicago families. Built during the Great Depression the park was open to the public until it was closed in 1971 after Marshall Field bought the complex in 1965. The Chicago Tribune named Olson Park as the first of "Chicago's Seven Lost Wonders". The park's opening was famous for the fact that during its opening, the park was symbolically "deeded" back to Native Americans, observing the hundred year anniversary of the expulsion of Indians across the Mississippi River after the Blackhawk War. Today the site is occupied by a parking lot for the former Olson Rug factory and headquarters which is now occupied by the retailer Macy's.
  • Henry Horner Homes
    Henry Horner Homes Public housing development in Chicago, Illinois, United States
     0    0
    rank #9 ·
    Henry Horner Homes was a Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) public housing project located in the Near West Side neighborhood on the West Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. The original section of Henry Horner Homes was bordered by Oakley Boulevard to the west, Washington Boulevard to the south, Hermitage Avenue to the east, and Lake Street to the north near the United Center. A discontigiuous section named Horner Annex was bordered by Honore Street to the west, Adams Street to the south, Wood Street to the east, and Monroe Street to the north. Constructed between 1957 and 1963, The housing project was named in honor of former Illinois governor Henry Horner.
  • Rockwell Gardens
    Rockwell Gardens Former public housing development in Chicago, Illinois, United States
     0    0
    rank #10 ·
    Rockwell Gardens was a Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) public housing project located in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the Near West Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It was the first public housing development in the United States to be constructed using both federal and state funds. The original structures were designed by Nicol & Nicol and covered 17 acres (6.9 ha). 1,126 units were built, located approximately 2.5 miles (4.0 km) west of the Chicago Loop, bordered by Madison Street, Van Buren Street, Western Avenue, and Rockwell Street.
Desktop | Mobile
This website is part of the FamousFix entertainment community. By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by the Terms of Use. Loaded in 0.25 secs.
Terms of Use  |  Copyright  |  Privacy
Copyright 2006-2022, FamousFix